Over the last thirty years thousands of volunteers have participated in RiverSweep, Ohio’s largest done-in-a-day clean-up, removing tons of trash from hundreds of acres of trails, parks, greenspaces and urban areas throughout Greater Cleveland.
We were looking forward to another spring clean-up of the Cuyahoga River corridor this year, however COVID-19 has forced us to modify our plans. Your health and safety is important to us, so our traditional RiverSweep clean-up held on the day before Mother’s Day will change to a modified clean-up effort.
In the spirit of “We will clean today, where tomorrow we will play”, we invite you to participate in “DIY RiverSweep”, a do-it-yourself spring clean-up where you can pick-up litter around your neighborhood, park, or favorite greenspace near you. Or perhaps during your last trip on the Towpath Trail you’ve seen some litter that needs picking up. This is your opportunity to give back to the outdoor spaces you and your family have enjoyed while getting some fresh air and exercise during this time of social distancing.
Please note we plan to coordinate multiple, smaller clean-ups at traditional RiverSweep sites later this summer, with the first one targeted towards the end of June. We will provide updates as we get closer to the clean-up date.
DIY RiverSweep check-list:
- Mark your calendar for the May 9 clean-up.
- Share the Facebook event to your page so your friends can be part of the clean-up.
- Get some work or gardening gloves along with a plastic bag (or two), a mask, and hand sanitizer.
- Wear your t-shirt from a previous RiverSweep.
- Gather the trash and dispose in your trashcan or public waste receptacle.
- Remember to follow social-distancing guidelines!
- Take a before and after photo of your clean-up site.
- Share your personal clean-up story and post photos to our Facebook page or Twitter. Use the hashtag #riversweep.
We look forward to seeing your photos on Saturday, May 9! In the meantime, here’s a look back at our GREAT volunteers who have made RiverSweep possible: